Thursday 26 September 2013

A LETTER TO MAHAMA


I saw a hand passing to me the admission letter I bought and filled, with the same picture and my handwriting. I was very confused that night and could not wait for morning to come. When it did, I woke up quickly and without taking my breakfast, I set off to come to GIJ to check the admission list. After careful scanning, I saw my name and ID.

I was uncertain as to whether it was my name or not. I doubted the dream I had. Was I rejected or accepted? I’m very sure it wasn’t an Admission Letter I saw. 

Finally, my mind came to a halt from its cruise. I recited fatiha three (3) times and without looking elsewhere, I turned to go home. Even as I was walking home, I still doubted my eyes.

I wasn’t so excited until the day we (level 100s) were being oriented. I sat quietly in the Upper Lecture Hall, observing the atmosphere; I could tell from others faces, they can’t wait to get into the classroom. But I was thinking more than that. 

I was thinking of the possible connections I could make throughout my four(4) years stay in the school; meeting the right people and acquiring the necessary skills which will help me become a better writer and ultimately, a Filmmaker. This thought triggered me to pick my black pen and jotter to write a poem. My first lecture was Language and Study skills.

It has been approximately, two (2) weeks since I started University; GIJ. I have realized that truly, everybody knows everybody. Lecturers and students are like keys and piano. Friendliness and mutuality characterizes every setting. I could hardly distinguish a fresher from a continuing student. The SRC executives are not megalomaniac as one would have thought. The same applies to clubs and halls executives that I have met so far.

Apart from the summer hut, wireless internet and the round to clock neat environment, one place that interests me the most is the Library. 

I have passion for reading. Seeing a wide range of books from shelve to shelve, and from psychology to photography, has refueled my curiosity to want to know. I wish, by the time I finish my degree course, I would be able to read all of them. But unfortunately, it’s not reasonable.

Also, I have realized that, in GIJ, they don’t just train students to be journalists as I have heard; Even though I never believed because they don’t understand what journalism really is.

Students are trained to be communicators. So, it depends on individual interest and ambitions.
 
Read my blog; fahdmahama.blogspot.com as I take you through a journey of my four (4) years in Ghana Institute of Journalism and life beyond university. If you are a fresher like me, I wish you a successful academic journey.
 
Thank you!

@fahd_mahama

No comments:

Post a Comment