Saturday 20 September 2014

THE MESSAGE; A Kwame Nkrumah Story.

For the past one year, I`ve been walking on this highway to go to campus. And I`ve almost always, been captivated by beautiful works of arts. I`ve also been longing to write about them. But I did not want to write an underwhelming article about such overwhelming art products. That is to say, I`ve been greatly inspired by them such that I feel I could write better articles than A Letter to Mahama

I am not writing this to tell you how passionate I am about arts (and technology too) so please skip this paragraph before you get to know how I`ve missed lectures only to watch Photoshop CS6 video tutorials from Lynda.com (I hope you didn’t!). 

Along the Kanda Highway in Greater Accra you`ll find amazing murals. These paintings seem to question the under-development of Ghana or Africa. I have tried (so far) to decode the exact messages the artistes are trying to get across but I will not tell you. I won’t because “what you see depends on where you stand. Also because, I have been able to get the artiste for explanation and that is what I will be sharing with you. You might want to get your thinking-caps “On” for a while.

First I got in touch with a 23 year old dark-colored gentleman. Not-tall-and-not-short looking and down to earth, like you`d expect of true artistes. He was very receptive and not seemed to be disturbed by my cynical attitude. He`s name is Rufai Zakari

I wanted this article to be didactic so I felt the need to know him better. My late literature teacher from High School will say“Read about the poet and you`ll understand his works!” So I managed to get to know his house, I went there several times to get personal with him.

Rufai Zakari was born in Accra, Nima in 1990. His works revolves around the hardships of urban life and the ills of over-consumption. He uses Cubism to reference the human beings and high-rise structures that populate this oppressive landscape, layering forms, symbols and discarded objects – like milk-tins, buttons, fabric, plastic bags and clay – upon abstract patterns.

Rufai apprenticed under senior Nima artistes Mozzay, Tijay and Nicolas Wayo. And then furthered his education at Ghanatta College of Arts and graduated in 2011.
He has participated in various exhibitions in Canada and United States (Miami), and had had a solo exhibition at the Novotel Hotel in Accra.
Rufai does different genres of painting. He does abstract, graffiti, Murals, etc., and is very inventive. I saw this graffiti he was working on, and several abstract paintings he had done on canvas.
“I was inspired by the beautiful colors of nature and the good culture of my people within Africa. he said when I asked, what inspired him to do painting?I was an apprentice with Mozzay and later continued my education at Ghanatta College. he said.

For most of the youth in this community, money (or poverty) has mostly been a deterrent factor. Dreams are easily shattered. And talents, traded for the quest to amass wealth and pleasure. For some of the youth, Internet fraud has been an alternative. Only a handful such as Rufai could be found determined and dedicated to their God-given talent. You can call it arts over keyboard. “I don’t think I can give up on something I am very passionate about… my work is not for fun or commercial. It serves as an education and motivation… giving back to society! But I do have a plan of going commercial.  He told me.

Below is the image of Dr. Kwame Nkrumah. Well, it is an image but not made of pixels. What you are seeing is a masterpiece of work produced by Rufai with black plastic rubber bags. The Artwork “Vision out of plastic”, a portrait of the first President, Mr. Osagyefo, was made out of used and recycled black plastic bags (6x9 feet). Yes, believe it or yes! And the message is very clearly written around it.



My paintings revolve around the hardships of urban life and the ills of over-consumption” He said. That is the motive behind my decision to use rubber bags”. “Why did you choose Dr. Kwame Nkrumah?” I asked. “Nkrumah, besides being a role model to me, is a man with vision And I think I bear that kind of sensation too. That is why I chose him for this particular works. He added.

One work that captivates motorists and pedestrians is “THE MESSAGE”. The message is a mural with rather a complex meaning than I could explain in this article



“Nkrumah appeared to me in a dream and was lamenting about Ghana and Africa`s current socio-economic situation. In that dream I saw Kwame Nkrumahas he spoke to me, worried about the under-development of this continent. So as an artiste the easiest and quickest medium for me to communicate this to the masses is through my art. So I called upon my friends from NiMA MUHIMMANCHI ARTS who helped me to make this manifest.”

Open your minds (and maybe your hearts) to digest the message.


From the left, reiterates the attainment of independence by Dr. Kwame Nkrumah. In sight is Dr. Kwame Nkrumah delivering the famous independence speech in 1957 at the Polo Grounds in Accra (now, Kwame Nkrumah Mausoleum).
That is followed by our Natural resources which include cocoa, gold, oil, manganese, and bronze, etc.



At the right of the wall are Dr. Nkrumah and some of his achievements. The Adomi Bridge and Akosombo Dam represents the numerous achievements of the First President of the country. 

 

 


In the middle is the Akan symbol; Sankofa. It means “to look back and recapture the past in order to move forward; so we can understand why (or how) we came to be were and who we are today”. The symbol is that of a bird whose head is faced in the opposite direction of its body. This emphasizes the fact that even though the bird is moving forward, it occasionally makes it a point to inspect or return to its past.

“Nkrumah is telling us to go back and make very good use of our natural resources and to depend on them for our good development. If He was able to achieve all these in a short while, we too can do and even do betterHe said.  So I asked “Is that the symbolism you are trying to portray? “Not Only, But that was Nkrumah`s words.” He retorted.

One thing that cannot be overlooked is Nkrumah`s facial expression. He is obviously infuriated and dismayed at our attitudes as a people; African people for that matter. Ghana is falling or has fallen and Nkrumah is watching with sadness and wished he could do something about it.

The thought of our lethargic attitude to reading and how I`ll get people to read this awesome story made me ask him a question. What is the response so far? Are Ghanaians appreciating the arts enough?”. “The response is positive… It was hard from the beginning but now getting better. Depending on the kind of message you send across… from the people around you and … branch out to the rest of the world. I`ve had very respected personalities here to view the work during the 6th March celebrations this year. Mr. Abu Sankara of C.P.P was hereHe responded.



Maybe you should be thanked for reading up to this point. You are a true arts lover. Thank You!!!






Our last dialogue:


“Do you do anything besides painting? I asked.
“No.” He answered.
If you weren’t painting, what would you have been doing?” I asked again.
“I don’t know. And if there would, It has to do with arts. He said.
I asked “What are the challenges involved?
“Getting the understanding of people towards arts And I think the solution is… and this is to every artistedoing things that are related to the life of people in your community. He commented.
“What advice would you give to up-and-coming artiste, especially from this community, like me? I asked.
 “Get education… and be strong in everything you do and be inspired by others… and have passion for what you do.” He replied.
“Are you anywhere on the Social Media where I can add you?” I asked
“I`m everywhere, quite dormant though… But I use my real name… RUFAI ZAKARI or Rufai.arts He revealed

After our last meeting I knew this could be a longer article if I meet him again. But I was feeling alright because my curiosity had been satisfied. And I hope yours have too. I am yet to find another must-tell story like this to write about. Something that would benefit society and propel Africa`s development. Stories like Rufai`s. Stories, that needs to be told.

@fahd_mahama  FACEBOOK: Fahd Mahama, Rufai Zakari

No comments:

Post a Comment